Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tuesday - Friday, Aug. 25 - 28: First Week of School

JOHN - What a week!! On Monday, the students arrived, to much fanfare. I already talked about Monday so let's just move on to the rest of the week.

Tuesday and Wednesday consisted of many get-to-know-you activities. Mrs. Schiebel started off the week with a math trick using dice. By Tuesday, only a handful of students had determined the result. It would remain that way the rest of the week until she finally revealed her secret on Thursday.

Some of the ways we got to know the students were fun and interactive. Mrs. Schiebel does an amazing job of getting young adolescents involved in class. They are also able to move around a bit, which definitely plays to their growing bodies. See, more C & I information being thrown at ya!!

On Tuesday, the students came up with their tribe names and chose their mascot. It was really cool to see how the students developed their tribe names. Some would take the first couple of letters from each person's name and mix it together. Others would choose their favorite foods or animals. Then, Mrs. Schiebel would have the students draw cards to see who would choose their tribe's mascot first. Not many chose the hippo, which I dubbed the HipHopopotamus.

Over the first couple of days, I would assist Mrs. Schiebel in getting the material needed. I got to see how much work it takes to really get the first week of school going. I was amazed by the amount of paperwork the students have to complete. I remember, when I was a lad, I only had to have my mom fill out one or two forms. Now, the students had 9 forms to have signed and returned. Not only that, some forms needed to be initialed or even signed two or three times!!

One of the first real jobs Mrs. Schiebel gave me to be responsible for was making sure all of this paperwork was returned and completed fully. During advisory, I would have to check off each form and let the students know if they were missing anything or if they were good-to-go. Those who had everything in were issued their locker. Those who didn't have the paperwork in had to wait to get their locker until everything was returned. By Friday, all but two students had everything in so it worked out pretty well. I still think this paperwork thing could be done more effectively, however. If this packet was given to the parents at the open house, it would help alleviate the responsibility of having the students take it home during the first week. But that's just my 2-cents.

Let me say this: If you want to succeed, especially in student teaching or teaching, in general, you MUST be organized. Mrs. Schiebel is one of the most organized people I have ever met. She is able to tap her years of experience and limitless resources. Since I have certain type-A tendencies, I immediately appreciated her organization. Having an organized classroom means having a well-run classroom.

Toward the end of the week, Mrs. Schiebel began introducing math to the students. For the regular ed. classes, we introduced integers and comparison. I asked her if she'd be willing to let me teach 8th hour and so on both Thursday and Friday, I was teaching those periods. Thursday, I was little nervous and I went a little long on the lesson and to rush at the end to get everything in. Mrs. Schiebel assured me that time management is one thing that any good teacher picks up with experience and time. On Friday, I was a lot more comfortable in front of the students. The lesson went more smooth and I think the students and I are beginning to develop a rapport.

One of the goals that I have for the upcoming week is to teach at least one lesson each day. Mrs. Schiebel and I agreed to switch it between 7th and 8th period. She would continue to prepare the lessons but I would start understanding the curriculum and providing feedback. I have to be careful not to rush myself, which I have a tendency to do. As eager as I am to teach, I still have a lot to learn and I have an entire semester to really train. No sense in jumping in without a plan. Thankfully Mrs. Schiebel is keeping me grounded enough to do so.

It was a great first week. I know that there over the next several weeks, the amount of work will build and I will be doing more at home and at school. But seeing how a school comes together in its first days was an eye-opening experience. I am so glad I am student teaching now rather than the spring semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment