Sunday, September 27, 2009

Living Colour concert at Emo's in Austin - Sept. 18





JOHN - On Friday, September 18, Jayma and I made the trek back to Austin (my new favorite city) to see Living Colour at Emo's. Living Colour is one of my all-time favorite bands and it's the first time I have gotten to see them. They were really popular in the early 90's with songs like Cult of Personality and Open Letter to a Landlord. Well, they just reunited and put out a new album and were touring around the country. When I found out they were coming to Austin, I had to jump at the chance to go. Plus, tickets were only $20!!


Before we took off to Austin, I asked Jayma to cut my hair. We went out on to the patio and I had my clippers, she grabbed the scissors and she went to town. I was a little nervous at first but she ended up doing a phenomenal job. If this teaching thing doesn't work for her, she should definitely consider becoming a hairdresser!!

Jayma and I arrived in Austin around 9:00. We went to Emo's, which is located on 6th Street. Once we got to Emo's we found out that Living Colour wasn't coming on until 11:30 so we decided to walk around 6th Street and get a few drinks. Our first stop...Coyote Ugly!

Within 30 seconds of walking into Coyote Ugly, one of the scantily clad bartenders who was dancing on top of the bar looks at me and say "You are one lucky guy"!! I believe she was referring to Jayma and assumed we were dating. Jayma was looking really pretty that night and I think the bartender wanted her to join her on top of the bar. Well, never one to shy away and from a little push from me, Jayma danced on top of the bar. Believe it or not, Coyote Ugly is not as bad as I thought. To be honest, it's like Hooters, just with girls dancing on bars. It's good clean, all-American fun. After a few more dances and a couple of drinks, Jayma and I bounced around to a couple of more places before heading back to Emo's.

Once we got back to Emo's, we maneuvered our way to the front of the stage, directly in the middle. Somehow, when Jayma and I go to a concert, we are always able to get up front. Living Colour finally came on and they rocked the show! They played most of their hits (they forgot to play Landlord though) and the crowd went nuts when they performed Cult of Personality. In fact, a mini-mosh pit broke out next to us and I actually saw someone get punched and knocked out!! We were really impressed with Doug Wimbish's playing of the bass. His energy was unbelievable!! In fact, he came into the crowd and played bass surrounded by the fans. Living Colour performed for over two hours and had great interaction with the crowd. They performed a lot of new songs which was good but I wish they would've spaced them out instead of playing them back-to-back but that's my only complaint. Jayma also caught one of the broken drum sticks which was pretty cool!!

After the show, Jayma and I waited around and we got to meet Living Colour, get some pictures and I got my cd and drumstick autographed. I finally got see one of my favorite bands but my ears were feeling it the next day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment