Sunday, September 27, 2009

ISU Comes to Visit - Thursday, Sept. 24

JOHN - On Thursday, September 24, we had visitors from ISU. And not just any visitors. San Antonio was proud to welcome Phyllis Metcalf-Turner and Jill Donnel. Dr. Metcalf-Turner is the Chairperson of the College of Education and Jill Donnel is the Coordinator of Educational Partnerships. They were here to see how the program is working out for not only Jayma and myself but to also meet with other ISU graduates who stayed here and accepted jobs. Margie Irwin also joined us for the dinner.

Lisa picked us up at our apartment and we went to downtown S.A. where we met Don. We walked along the Riverwalk to the Hyatt. It was there we met Dr. Metcalf-Turner and Mrs. Donnel. We were surprised to see so many other people there accompanying them. There were about 7 other ISU alum and that wasn't including Jared, who just took a job at NISD. From the Hyatt, we walked down to Rosario's for a nice dinner.

I had a wonderful time talking with Dr. Metcalf-Turner. After breaking the ice, we discuss the C&I program at ISU and some of the grievances I had. I tried to not focus too much on the negative but I wanted to express some concerns and Dr. Metcalf-Turner was willing to listen to those concerns. We had a delightful conversation about the state of American education and eventually moved into non-school topics such as music, history and Kanye West. We had a wonderful evening and I believe they can see how important the San Antonio partnership is for ISU. Speaking not as a student but also an alum myself, I feel this program is wonderful opportunity for students to challenge themselves in a new environment and it opens new doors and opportunities.

I just wanted to again thank Dr. Metcalf-Turner, Mrs. Donnel, Margie Irwin and ISU for coming to visit us (too bad you arrived on the two coldest days of the year). Plus, I hope this program becomes even larger next semester and years to come.

P.S. President Bowman, if you should ever read this, you are more than welcome to come down here. I will take you to a Spurs game (of course, it'll be on ISU's dime!).

No comments:

Post a Comment