Sunday, September 27, 2009

Chickenfoot concert at Sunset Station in San Antonio - Sept. 20





JOHN - On Sunday, September 20, Jayma and I headed to downtown San Antonio for the Chickenfoot concert. For those not in the know, Chickenfoot is made up of Chad Smith (drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers), Joe Satriani (a great guitar player), Michael Anthony (bass player for Van Halen) and Sammy Hagar (all-time rock god). This is my 4th time seeing Sammy live but first with Chickenfoot. And anyone who really knows me that I love Sammy! Needless to say, I was pretty psyched for this show. However, two days removed from the Living Colour show and a night out for the Texas-Texas Tech game has started to take its toll on me. But we persevered and ended up having a good time.

On the way to the show, I wrote down directions to the Pavilion. However, I made the mistake of entering the directions using W. Commerce instead of EAST Commerce. Let me say this, there is quite a difference between East and West Commerce. We hit W. Commerce and we knew immediately were in the wrong part of town. There were a ton of homeless people and and we were surrounded by buildings that advertised bond and bail money. We ended up stopping at at Motel 6 and got directions realized that we were on the wrong end of Commerce.

After finally finding the Sunset Station and parking (it's located right next to the Alamodome), we made our way to the ticket window. Once again, we hit another snag. The ticket lady asked me for my I.D. and credit card that I used to buy the tickets. I had my license but not the card. She asked me if I had the order number and I didn't. Sooooo....I ended up having to call my buddy, Jake, and he was able to look it up for me (THANKS, JAKE!!).

After all of this, we finally made it into the show. The opening act was still playing so we decided to just walk around and chill. We were sooo tired from the weekend but it was such a beautiful night. We got a few drinks and chilled by the fountain. The Sunset Station is an old train station that has been converted into a place where weddings, receptions and concerts can be played. The concert was outside and there was plenty of room to move around. We never felt crowded at any time. Plus, there is a nice restaurant that we plan on hitting the next time someone comes to visit.

For this concert, Jayma and I agreed we weren't going to make the effort to get up front. We were just too tired and our ears were still feeling the effects of the Living Colour show. So, we decided to just stand towards the back and just chill. We are so glad we did. Even though I didn't get as great of pics as I would've liked, the band sound amazing and Sammy's voice is still great at the ripe young age of 61. That's right, Sammy is 61 and he still rocks harder than everyone! I hope to be that awesome when I am his age. Anyway, they performed the entire CF album and came out for an encore. They performed Bat Motor Scooter (an old solo-Sammy hit) and a cover of The Who's My Generation. All in all, it was a great show, beautiful night and a great way to end the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment