Sunday, November 22, 2009

Last Weeks of Student Teaching

JOHN - The semester is quickly wrapping up and I have finally completed all of my student teaching. This past week, I started giving classes back to Mrs. Schiebel. To be honest with you, I was ready to give them back and she was ready to take them. Not that I didn't want to teach the kids, do the lesson planning, etc.... It's just, after the break-in, my focus has shifted from enjoying the remainder of the semester to just getting finished with school and starting on the next phase of my life. It's a shame I feel that way because it's somewhat tainted this entire experience.

Anyway, let me say this to any and all future student teachers...STUDENT TEACHING IS GOING TO BE THE MOST REWARDING LEARNING EXPERIENCE YOU WILL HAVE YOUR ENTIRE TIME IN COLLEGE!! I have learned so much while completing my student teaching.

First and foremost, I have to thank Mrs. Schiebel. If it wasn't for her, I do not believe I would have gained the knowledge I already have. I wish I could take her years of experience, her calming demeanor and unending patience and give me just a portion of it. She is supportive yet willing to give constructive criticism. Plus, she's not one of those cooperating teachers who goes off to read a book and leaves you alone w/ the students. She's there to help you if you need it. She gives you enough space to run a lesson but is willing to offer up advice when appropriate. In fact, we would meet and discuss the first two lessons during 3rd period and she'd give input and suggestions for the later class periods. The one thing I noticed is that I would usually make most of my "mistakes" in 2nd period but by 6th, 7th and 8th period, the lesson went more smooth and the "bugs were worked out.

The other thing I have taken from this experience is that there are many key things to student teaching. Here is my list of items I feel is needed to be a successful student teacher (or teacher in general): 1. Content knowledge: You have to know the subject you are teaching. However, keep in mind, just because you are good at something doesn't make it easy to teach. Those skills will develop and come with time. 2. Time management: 50-minute classes go so quick!! You blink and the class is over. So this means you have to plan accordingly. 3. Patience: You need to be patient with young adolescents. They are in a constant rate of motion and are squirrely. I have gotten better about their behavior. But don't be afraid to have them settle down. Sometimes they need to move and sometimes they need to just relax. 4. Discipline. This is one area I constantly worked on (well, I have worked on everything but this was an area of concern for me). The key to discipline techniques is to just remain consistent. Do as you say, say what you mean. 5. Comfortable shoes: Trust me on this, get shoes that will not tear up your feet. Girls, no heals. Boys, those dress are nice but a good pair of Skechers are still dressy and comfy!!

After a long semester, it's finally come to an end. It's a bittersweet feeling. I am sad to be leaving these kids I have grown to care for. I want each and every one of them to be successful. I will miss their insanity and their bluntness. I will miss their calling me "Mr. G". I will miss joking with them or telling them to get quiet. I will even miss the days they failed to do their homework. What I will miss the most is their ability to surprise me. These kids have a way of making teaching worth it. They will surprise you daily. Sometimes bad. Most of the time, good. Maybe even great. When you have kids telling you that you are his/her favorite teacher and that you will be missed, it almost brings a tear to my eye. And it just reminds me that I have chosen the right career.

I arrived here in August with the excitement and nervousness of teaching middle school. I am leaving with the anticipation and pride of teaching these students again in the future. As I said in my initial reflective essay; "Someday, I will be somebody's teacher". Someday is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment